A Slow Start

A Slow Start

After two weeks off I had a rough start coming back to tournament play in Concord New Hampshire, the first of six tournaments in a row.

During the two weeks away from tournaments I was able to finally take a few days off and enjoy the summer. It was only for a few days but nonetheless much needed. Then it became time to prepare for this long stretch of tournaments. During those two weeks however, I kept struggling with my swing not hitting the ball as good as I wanted to. But sometimes I just need the pressure of a tournament to make it work, so I was hoping that was the case this time.

Wednesday I drove up to New Hampshire and had my practice round on Thursday. I kept working on the swing and trying to make it work, and somehow I managed to make that happen. Friday the golf course seemed so easy, and without many expectations before the round I turned out to play really well. I was three under with four holes to go, but unfortunately two bogeys on the last four holes gave me a round of 71. With that score I was tied for 11th and actually surprised how easy it had felt.

Coming out to the second day I knew that I could play well despite how I had felt about my game before the tournament. However, I got a little too excited a little too fast. On the second day I played how I was supposed to have played the day before. I guess my expectations changed a little bit after the first round, but that came around to bite me. I wasn’t playing good, and on the back-9 it got really bad. With three holes to go I knew I needed two birdies to make the cut. I made one of them on 16, but on 17 however I missed my par putt and carded a bogey. I then knew that I wouldn’t make the cut unless I holed out for eagle on the par-4 18. Unfortunately I didn’t make the shot from 100 yards out, but hit it to 9 feet instead. Knowing that I had already missed the cut and feeling pretty bad about it, I just wanted to make the last putt to make myself feel a tiny bit better. And luckily I did. Very luckily it turned out, because the cut had moved to 5 over instead of 4 which I had expected. All of a sudden, a super bad day on the course ended up having some kind of good ending since I made the cut after all.

Getting the chance to play on Sunday I just wanted to keep working on my game and trying to work my swing out for the next long stretch of tournaments. However, like the day before I just wasn’t sharp, especially on the front nine. I got it back a little later in the round but it still just wasn’t pretty and the round ended in 74.

Overall it just wasn’t my week, struggled with my swing and never felt really comfortable over the ball. But it was another made cut and I took it for what it was. Sometimes I feel like I get into a better groove when playing a few tournaments in a row so I am sure I will find my swing along the way. Up next is this week’s tournament in Syracuse, New York.